Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cooking - For the Fun of It!

I love to cook. I'm not a chef at all, but I love playing with my food - literally! Italian peasant food is my realm and using more and more spices has really been an exciting culinary trip. Food is a way to be creative and I love when things come together or when my experiments in the kitchen come out great.


We all need to either do it – cooking that is, or at least we hope someone in our home will be willing to do it. Some of us who love to eat good food, learn to do a bit of cooking and enjoy all that surrounds that mystique of cooking tasty dishes. Do you need to be a gourmet cook or chef to really cook good food? Definitely not!! Just be ready to eliminate the box magic and enjoy the freshest veggies and meats.


Americans are known for being a mostly non-veggie culture. But until this decade everything in the kitchen was focused on easy and a formula flavor that can be easily gotten through using a can of soup, and packet of seasoning or tons of salt. Original flavor from simple herbs spices and fresh foods can be wonderful for setting the aura for good conversation and almost any mood. Thank goodness for the excitement for using herbs and spices instead of nothing but salt and pepper. But unless you can share the great taste with someone, it may seem strange working in the kitchen simply for yourself.


So where can you begin and have little chance for failure? How about a good red sauce to coat pasta and chicken, or how about a lovely chili or soup during the cold months of the year? A little extra time can mean a wonderful meal and a kitchen that exudes the scent comfort and family. But what if you fail the first time? Good cooking is learned and you will make mistakes, but in the process probably create your own spin on a recipe.


When it comes to cooking exactness is not as a fine art like exceptional baking is and can be played with as you develop your own flavor combinations. I love to create recipes by taking an old concoction and giving it my own twist. But mostly I love to have fun creating good food for family and friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

about 2 years ago, I discovered the insanely fantastic aroma of fresh basil, and haven't been the same since! the dried stuff is fine, too, but fresh! oh my word.

found your blogs via A New Anglican's Journey. i'll be back...

Unknown said...

You are so right Amy! I love basil and have it in my kitchen garden, and use it often in cooking. I dry it every fall, but it just isn't the same dried. The oil that comes from fresh basil is an aromatic I really love!

Anonymous said...

May I introduce you to...

http://loveapples.typepad.com/love_apples/2008/09/ls-prayer.html

Best...

Unknown said...

Thanks, Scott! It looks interesting - now to take a fork and discover the depths...