Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Time is Now

“Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.” Albert Schweitzer

A simple thought, but a profound idea that we need desperately today. An idea that can change your life, and even of all those you come in contact with every day.

Anger and hostility, judgment and harassment are the ways that world gains control in business, and sadly also in relationships. I know because I’ve been the recipient of those climbing to the top over the top of others in many of the communities I've lived in over the years. Those propagating the hurt affect so many, but often end up harming themselves as well. Even the most beautiful and successful are vulnerable and those rich in sensitivity can offer something to those who believe they already have it all.

So how do we actually make change happen in our own little corner of the world? For me there is only one way and that is to treat others as we want to be treated or better yet to change the world we have to change how we see the world. I don’t know what will change around me…but I sure feel better about how I look at the world. I know that there are many who want to control and run my world, and that hurts sometimes. But as long as I can keep control over my actions and the way I treat others they can’t hurt me. And as long as I stand for kindness over anger and cruelty then I’ve won a most important battle – a battle that can and has made a difference in my life and maybe in some of the people I come into contact with every moment of every day. But what do I get for it? Contentment as well as and a measure of something we all crave in our modern world, peace - really small concepts that in my opinion can bring huge rewards.

No comments: